Dear readers, you probably know that the flow of water destroys everything in its path. The water flow must be diverted so that it does not destroy the roof and wash away the foundation.
Do you know of the well-known gutter and house gutter alternatives?
Today we will try to describe in more detail the types of gutters, alternatives and ideas for their installation.
The drainage system in a private house must effectively accompany the drainage of water, snow, ice from the roof in order for the house to remain your real fortress.Roof gutters are usually considered a roofing element. And not in vain, since the most important part of the water-receiving system is attached to the roof, more precisely, along the entire length of the roof overhang during its construction. Any design of a house cannot do without taking into account the construction of a drainage system.
Functions of the gutter:
- collects rainwater, thawed snow or ice;
- removes water or water mass through the drain funnels;
- holds on itself a mass of snow or water until the water mass descends into the ground or drainage system.
Roof gutter alternatives are made from different materials, and each of these materials has its own properties. These properties include:
- external coating design (the color of oxidized copper patina or the whole rainbow of colors on plastic gutters and pipes);
- durability (from 5 to tens of years);
It is known, there are ready-made gutters on sale for installing gutters from the roof, but there are situations when the cost of ready-made drainage systems is quite significant and there is no way to use beautiful, but expensive materials. So here can be used as an alternative to gutters and downspouts.
This encourages some craftsmen to make gutters with their own hands from scrap materials. One of the options involves the use for these purposes of a plastic sewer pipe of significant diameter (at least 110 mm). It is cut into two equal parts to obtain goons. Downpipes are made from the same material, but with a smaller diameter.
As for the brackets, you can purchase or make them yourself. In a cheaper version of a homemade gutter, plastic bottles are used as material
The good and the owner always has some used material in their stash.
Of course, for the manufacture of gutters, there can be any that is at hand or the one that you like best:
- PVC sewer pipes (they need to be cut in half lengthwise)
- plastic bottles
- galvanized or black steel
Homemade rain gutters from scrap materials
Now we will consider the design of galvanized steel gutters with our own hands.
Do-it-yourself roof gutters from galvanized steel are made quite simply, so it is better to choose this particular material:
- you need to cut strips 300 mm wide from galvanized steel sheet 0.55 mm thick (it can be thicker, but more difficult to bend)
- bend in the form of a triangle (one fold) or make a U-shaped groove (two folds).
For bending a galvanized strip (in the form of a triangle), it is better to use some kind of device so that the fold turns out to be the correct and identical configuration for all strips. The simplest fixture is a board.
First, draw the intended fold line exactly in the middle of the strip. The strips, by the way, will be 1.25 m long if you cut them across the galvanized sheet or 2.5 m if you cut them along the sheet. It is clear that the easiest way to make folds is from shorter galvanized strips. But, then you will need to install fasteners with a more frequent step. Here the choice is yours.
Then, one half of the strip must be placed under the board, and the other half must be bent to the outside of the board. Bending the strip, it is advisable to do it not with your hands, because then the galvanized steel will be waves in the form of your handprints, but a second board. For this work, you do not need to take thick boards (50mm), 20 mm thick is enough. Can be thinner if available.
DIY rain gutters holder
Gutter holders must be made of steel strip. The gutter holder will have to be made with your own hands from a steel strip 2 mm thick, since this element must be strong enough to keep snow in the gutters in winter. You can buy ready-made strips intended for electrical work. Their section is just suitable for the manufacture of holders and therefore you will need to cut the blanks only to length.
The dimensions of the blanks should be:
- thickness 2 mm
- width 20 mm
- length 400 mm
The shape and dimensions of the holder are selected depending on:
- the selected shape of the gutter (triangular or U-shaped)
- points of attachment to the cornice (bottom or top)
By the way, there are ready-made holders of the following designs on sale:
- Fastening the holder with self-tapping screws to the frontal board of the cornice (like a towel hook). It is clear that such a holder does not hold anything at all. At the first snow load, it will simply tear it off.
- Strip holder, designed to be attached over the eaves board. This is the standard solution for attaching gutters, so these holders are the most correct.
In our case, the configuration of the holders for the existing roof had to be done individually and with our own hands. In order for all holders to have the same shape, without errors, you need to use a device for bending the steel strip.
The easiest way is to hammer nails into a thick board in a specific sequence and bend each element (steel strip) using a piece of pipe as a lever.
After bending the strips, it is necessary to drill four holes in each holder to attach it on one side to the eaves of the roof. A couple more holes are intended for attaching the gutters themselves to the holder.
The final process in making the holders is painting. It is often used to protect steel structures from corrosion and which will quickly “peel off” …
Fastening alternatives to gutters on houses:
- The holders are fixed to the cornice sheathing boards with self-tapping screws. Holders need to be installed with a certain step, which depends on the length of the gutters. It is most correct when the holder is at the junction of the gutters.
- Galvanized steel gutters are placed on the holders with an overlap at the joint. The gutters should be stacked on top of each other (at the overlap) so that the previous element is at the top. This is done so that the water drains through the gutters, does not flow under the joints.
- The chute is attached to the riveted holder. There is a manual tool for setting rivets. He’s not expensive. You can, of course, use small self-tapping screws (self-tapping screws).
- It is advisable to waterproof the gutter joints with some sealant
We have prepared to you tips and recommendations on self-installation of water systems.
As in any element of building a house, the gutter system in a private house has a number of features that are used in practice by craftsmen and tested by experience. Let’s share these secrets with you:
- The more elements in the gutter system, the more likely it will work optimally and will not ask for repair ten years after installation.
- Before installing the alternative to gutters, it is necessary to inspect and repair the roof: repair the overhang, replace the end roof boards, check if the roof covering is securely fixed.
- The drainage system is cleaned of debris in spring and autumn. First, the leaves and branches are removed from the outlet of the pipe, then the gutters are rinsed with water under strong pressure. To save energy and clean the gutter less often, the drains are covered with a metal mesh.
- In winter, the plastic gutter system must be protected from snow by snow holders. If the snow mass falls on the drain, it will break, and repairmen will have to be called in in the spring. Installing snow guards on the roof will prevent these problems.
- In case of sudden changes in temperature in winter, it is advisable to check whether the pipes are clogged with ice. To do this, you need to knock on them with a wooden stick: the ice will crack, and the non-melted pieces will fall out.
Competent installation of the drainage system and regular maintenance are the conditions for a long trouble-free service of the drain itself and the entire building. Now you know more about the types of roof drainage systems.
In modern architectural concepts, there are a lot of gutter ideas: gutterless rain gutters, gutterless rain system, rain gutter downspout alternatives variations.
But minimalism is the most important, that is, leaving only what is needed in space. The style of modern design buildings tends to be simple and to restrict external elements in favor of the simplest homogeneous solids. Until now, architects wishing to create a strictly minimalist design often faced the challenge of a traditional gutter installation. Today, invisible rain gutters are a breakthrough in thinking about modern construction. This offers an alternatives to traditional rain gutters. Moreover allows the systemic integration of gutters and other elements into the building façade, which increases the visual impact of the entire building. Therefore, more and more construction companies practice the installation of gutters without gutters.
Eventually, do-it-yourself gutters from improvised material are a fairly budget option, but it serves no worse than a purchased gutter system.
In order to make the elements of an individual drainage system yourself, you do not need to have special equipment and skills. The manufacturing process is no more complicated than the organization of soundproofing the floor in the apartment. In any case, a skilled homeowner can significantly save a part of the family budget, which can be directed towards more important goals.