One of the main functional elements of the kitchen and bathroom is the sink, which will become the highlight of any modern interior in the style of a loft, hi-tech, minimalism. Concrete sinks look very original because of the texture, it is possible to create an exclusive model with your own hands, the material guarantees durability, strength and reliability.
The main requirements for it are convenience, practicality, strength and moisture resistance. In addition, the sink should have an attractive appearance and harmoniously fit into the interior of the room. All these qualities correspond to ordinary concrete.
A concrete sink in the interior of a kitchen or bathroom looks stylish, has all the necessary performance characteristics, durability and variability in appearance. One of the advantages is that you can make a concrete vanity sink with your own hands, and the plasticity of the material allows you to create the most unusual models.
What Types of Concrete Sinks Are Available?
The great thing about concrete farmhouse sinks is that they can be custom-made to any length, width and depth. And the style of kitchen-bath concrete sinks is also varied.
What Textures and Colors Are Available?
Surface texture can range from smooth and polished to matte or rough. As for the color, it is no longer a universal gray. Today's concrete bathroom sink can be painted in a wide variety of colors, although many still opt for a neutral shade that will stand the test of time.
Can a Concrete Sink Be Used in the Kitchen?
We can not recommend it, as the coating simply will not last over time due to the constant abrasion of pots, food chemicals and harsh detergents. However, many people can install a concrete kitchen sink and take all the cons later on.
However, for those who are less tolerant of imperfections, it is better to install a concrete sink in the bathroom. But how to make a concrete sink by yourself?
Making a concrete sink and working with a diy concrete sink always involves the use of special equipment such as a vibrating table and concrete mixer. If you don't have one, you can use an alternative - for example, a mixer-attachment for a rotary hammer.
In addition to such necessary tools, you will also need:
- The finished form or materials for its manufacture are silicone or plastic for molding. If you have never worked with silicone, then it is better to purchase a ready-made formwork or figure out from improvised means, for example, 2 bowls of different sizes.
- Grinder and disc for concrete.
- Formwork liquid. Machine oil is not recommended as it leaves marks on the finished concrete product.
- Concrete paint and varnish.
How to Make a Concrete Farmhouse Sink?
Books and online instructions for making concrete countertop and sink abound but we present you with detailed instructions of manufacturing process:
First, drawing of the future sink is made with an exact indication of the size, shape, volume. They prepare a place for production - they free up enough space so as not to feel constrained in movement and not to accidentally throw off tools and materials. They also prepare a place for installing the sink - they remove the furniture from the wall, clean the cabinet from old coatings, mark the installation site with a pencil.
Step 1. Take two large bowls as formwork. Lubricate the sink molds. Large from the inside, and small from the outside.
Step 2. We make a batch of concrete.
The component tab is as follows:
- First, dry components are mixed until smooth.
- After that, the plasticizer dissolves in water, and is added to the sand-concrete mixture. Mix well.
- As already mentioned, water is metered in portions.
- The first of them, a composition with a plasticizer. After adding it, you yourself will see how much more water you need.
Step 3. When the mixture is ready, boldly pour it into a large bowl and lower the second part into the concrete. We tamp and level the concrete well.
To prevent the second part of the formwork from being pushed out by concrete, we lay heavy weighting materials.
Step 4. To remove the voids in the concrete, carefully tap the formwork and go through with a grinder.
Step 5. We wrap the formwork with foil and keep it in a warm room for about a day. We do stripping.
Step 6. Make a hole for the plumbing and sand the surface. If this creates small voids and irregularities, prepare a paste from cement and water. Plaster all the flaws, let dry and sand again. When the result suits you, you can paint or simply varnish the resulting product.
Finally, install a concrete countertop with sink and connect it to the plumbing. This way you can create your own designer concrete sink.
In addition to concrete sink sealer, polymeric materials are used for the production of sinks at home: polyester, acrylic, epoxy and formaldehyde resins. They are prepared by mixing with stone chips, dyes are often added, adjusting the color of the product to the natural one. In many respects, such sinks are not inferior to concrete ones, but their production is based on the manufacture of a special shape. Therefore, the easiest way is to make a formwork and pour concrete into it.
Real masters in the field of construction and design embody any ideas into reality. They are not limited to simple square or round shapes.
Concrete is considered a rough material, but with the right approach, it can turn any structure into a real work of art. Trusting your imagination when decorating the interior, you can effectively use this material.
- Concrete shell-shaped sink. Elegant configuration, thin lines, original design. This option demonstrates endless imagination in the manufacture of concrete apron sink.
- Integrated (built-in) concrete sink. When designing their own space, each person tries to fill it with the most convenient elements. It often happens that it is impossible to find a suitable solution for a bathroom, so interior items can be made to order. An integrated washbasin meets all customer requirements in terms of aesthetic and operational characteristics, while the customer has the right to choose the shade, shape and size of the custom concrete sinks he likes.
- The rectangular washbasin is a classic option. It is quite easy to use, since water will not splash during washing. The models of these cement sinks are the most popular and are offered in a wide range of sizes.
- The oval design is considered the most ergonomic option today. Concrete structures harmoniously fit into a variety of stylistic directions:
- Concrete sinks and washbasins are very common in modern bathrooms and kitchens. Most often we are talking about integrated versions of the classic or original form. A cement bathroom sink is ideal for a minimalist interior.
- Precast concrete sinks are also used in the loft style.
- Unusual shapes of concrete sinks are the main criteria for high-tech bathrooms. Such an interior is characterized by a minimum of used shades, an abundance of lighting, simple geometry of shapes and lines.
How to Care for a Concrete Sink?
Since concrete is porous, the surface must be sealed to protect it from stains and discoloration. A newly installed sink can be supplied with sealant already applied. Ideally, the homeowner will maintain the finish by spraying polish or wax.
It is still possible for stains or discoloration to appear - if, say, an irresponsible guest spills acidic food, such as red wine, vinegar, or lemon juice, and allows it to seep inside. Then you usually need a professional to buff the stain.
Pros and Cons of Do-It-Yourself Concrete Sink
You will find that whenever you are looking for something special and one of a kind, modern concrete sinks are something you should definitely look out for. This is what fully ensures that your sink is tailor-made for you. Finding another concrete sink similar to the one you have will be very difficult.
Among concrete kitchen sink pros and cons you will find that the concrete sink is usually part of the concrete countertop. It is not only very attractive to look at, but also incredibly durable. You will find that concrete is, of course, a very tough and tough surface that is very difficult to damage. Typically, the sink is made to fit directly into the rack. This will allow you to achieve a smooth transition and a beautiful look.
The disadvantages are that the downside of antique concrete sinks is the fact that sometimes they need to be sealed. Ultimately, cracks and chips will develop and you will need to repair them as soon as possible so that there is no further breakdown. It is not very difficult, but very necessary. Make sure you can take the time to complete this task as soon as you notice chips or cracks in your concrete sink.
You may have installation problems when you have a concrete sink. Obviously, a concrete sink is incredibly heavy. This means that you will need a special support for you to install. You will need to install an additional support under the sink. It is also important that your floor is strong enough to support this weight. Another thing you need to keep in mind when it comes to installing a concrete sink is that it costs a lot. While the fact that they are all custom made, so they are unique, is a plus, it is also a minus.