Tap water always contains numerous minerals, the concentration of which affects not only the hardness of the life-giving moisture itself, but also the condition of the mixers installed in the bathrooms. A difficult-to-remove plaque begins to appear on them, the presence of which will not be ignored by any hostess. And in order for the taps to shine again, one should approach their cleaning comprehensively and competently. How to clean the lacquered brass faucets correctly?
Definition of Brass
Before cleaning antiquing brass fixtures in your home, you need to determine lacquered vs unlacquered brass. By following simple steps, you can easily learn about the type of brass and the exact way to clean it.
What is unlacquered brass? If the brass items in your home look tarnished, then they are most likely not varnished. However, if the items shine even after you haven't cleaned them for a long time, it may be due to the coating, which is made of lacquered brass. Another way to identify unpolished brass faucets is to take some metal cleaner on a damp, soft cloth and gently rub the brass surface. The appearance of black spots on the fabric indicates that it is unfinished brass, as these terrible spots are nothing more than tarnishing.
What Changes the Color of an Unlacquered Brass Kitchen Faucet?
Since an unlacquered brass bathroom faucet is not chemically resistant, it will naturally tarnish. Depending on the specific alloy (different companies use different mixtures), its color may vary. The hue also depends on your conditions: if you live near a pond, which means higher humidity and saltier air, the natural brass patina will tarnish green. In a city where dust or exhaust fumes are more common, the color changes to brown or gray. The type of water in your area - hard or soft - can also affect brass.
How To Clean Brass Faucet?
Common methods for cleaning brass products include creating an acidic environment to remove oxides. Oxalic acid is the most suitable for these purposes. Any household chemical that contains acid can be used to make brass products look attractive.
- Always clean it after use with a clean soft cloth or towel.
- Make sure that water stains do not settle on the brass mixer for a long time. Wipe dry immediately if water gets in.
- Use pH neutral soap to clean the natural brass faucet. High pH soaps or colored soaps can damage the metal.
Brass is a tarnishing material that can always be restored to its original radiant appearance. When thinking about how to clean a brass bathroom faucet, you don't need to use metal brushes or hard cloths to add shine to it. It is possible to renew the old varnished layer differently.
Moreover, for cleaning brass fixtures, it is not always necessary to use expensive chemicals and complex methods. You can clean the faucet in your home using a metal cleaner or ingredients found at home.
We offer several options for how to clean a bathroom faucet made of brass:
How to Clean Unlacquered Brass Faucet
Cleaning with a Metal Cleaner
- Metal cleaner
- Clean soft cloth
- Cleaning cloth
- Wax paste
Step 1. Place the Metal Cleaner in a Cleaning Cloth or Soft Cloth
Apply a little cleaner to a clean, soft cloth or cleaning pad and rub over the entire surface of the brass care until all plaque is gone. Be sure to read the manufacturer's instructions before use.
Step 2: Apply Varnish to the Faucet
After cleaning the unlacquered brass patina, apply the wax paste all over the faucet and buff it with a soft cloth. The brass faucet will regain its original brightness and radiance.
Сleaning with Home Remedies
You can wash the uncoated brass faucet using ingredients found in the kitchen or cleaning cabinet. Ketchup, salt, and lemon are great ingredients for cleaning brass. If you cannot find it in your home, you can quickly buy it from a store nearby.
Technique 1: Cleaning with Ketchup
Interestingly, tomato paste removes even the most stubborn dirt from brass. Due to its mild acidity, you can use it to remove dirt and tarnish from unvarnished brass. This makes it shine and look its best. To clean the faucet with ketchup, follow these steps.
- Apply some ketchup to a clean, soft cloth or cleaning cloth and lubricate the faucet with it. Then let it dry for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash the faucet with water.
- Use clean water to rinse off the ketchup and tarnish. Rinse until all dirt is gone. Then wipe off any moisture with a soft cloth or towel.
If you don't have ketchup, you can use tomato juice as an alternative. Dip the tap in the juice for about 5-10 minutes, then rinse with warm water.
Technique 2: Сleaning with Lemon and Salt
- Mix lemon and salt.
- Apply the salt paste.
- Polish it with a clean soft cloth.
The cleaning instructions above will keep your unlacquered brass bathroom fixtures as clean as new. All methods are quick and easy.
- Flaxseed oil is an excellent anti-tarnishing agent for natural brass kitchen faucet, so apply it periodically to your faucet as a preventive measure. Observe the regularity of cleaning and polishing, do not neglect industrial products aimed specifically at brass products.
- The faucet made of unpainted brass, which changes over time, improves the appearance of the room. With the good care mentioned above, it will also last for many years. If you've installed these faucets in your home and don't know how to clean them, the tips above will help you.
- Choose a cleaning method that is comfortable and affordable for you. To avoid quick tarnishing of your uncoated faucets, take care of them as described above. And always take safety precautions when cleaning, as some chemicals can damage your skin or other surfaces.