The authentic grass wallpaper is luxurious, sophisticated, and timeless. In the 1970s they were a regular interior decoration, but now they are growing in popularity again. Made from natural materials and handmade by skilled craftsmen, they are an eco-friendly and fashionable wallcovering option. They are however more expensive, more difficult to install, and require more maintenance than conventional wallpaper. We offer you a guide to grasscloth wallpaper that you can use anytime and anywhere.
Grasscloth wall covering is a very unusual option for wall decoration. They make the room feel more comfortable and warm. They fit perfectly into all rooms except the kitchen. Moreover, they are produced in a wide variety of colors, patterns and without, and also special jute wallpapers are produced, so that they can be used with special jute wallpapers, in order to use special paint. There are two types of such wallpapers: fabric and grass. A grasscloth accent wall is obtained by combining jute with bamboo stems. Jute wallpapers with linen weaves are especially popular. Such wallpapers are good first of all because they are environmentally friendly. Those who appreciate everything natural, are perfect.
What Is Grasscloth Wallpaper?
Usually made from natural fibers such as jute, hemp, sisal, and reed, grass wallpaper is an excellent finishing material. This glossy natural wallcovering lends a sophisticated texture and elegance to spaces, suitable for a wide variety of styles, from classic to modern.
Much of the grasscloth produced today is handcrafted in Asia. Harvested from sustainable crops from renewable fibers, air-dried in the sun, and dyed with water-based plant dyes in many shades, the fabric remains environmentally friendly at all stages of its life cycle.
Process of Grass Wallpaper Creation
The production of grass tissue is labor-intensive. Using selected natural fibers, expert craftsmen carefully hand weave light cotton threads together, and the finished product is usually secured on a thin rice paper backing. Even though this special paper backing is hidden from view after the herbal fabric is laid, it provides the necessary strength and structure needed for durability.
Grassy Wallpaper Features
The fabric comes in a variety of textures and colors. Thinner weave construction creates a sleek and modern look, while thicker weave creates a rustic feel. The grass colors are created by hand using water-based plant dyes; as a result, natural dyes will flow or flow in contact with water. Fabric is a great accent for ladies rooms, bathrooms, bedrooms, and walk-in closets. Due to its complex design, the grass must be slightly vacuumed to remove dust and dirt that may accumulate on its surface.
Even if the walls in the room are imperfect, it is not necessary to align them, because grass texture wallpaper visually removes all defects well. They retain their original appearance for a long time and do not lend themselves to sunlight. They also provide good sound insulation. They are very easy to use, they are sold, like all wallpapers, in rolls. It will not be difficult to glue them yourself either, since the base of this wallpaper is made of ordinary paper, which adheres perfectly to the surface of the walls. Jute is glued directly to the paper. But there is a little trick here that will help to paste over the room with high quality and without problems: this requires glue for heavy wallpaper, liberally smear the walls and the wallpaper themselves and hold them for some time so that the glue is absorbed. At the same time, the grassy wallpaper will not leave the walls and will last for many years.
Grass Wallpaper Advantage
- Authentic grass wallpaper comes at a price. Herbal wallpaper gives the interior a luxurious yet natural aesthetic and is therefore ideal if you want to bring some eco-friendly luxury into your home. Commonly made from hemp, jute, arrowroot, bamboo, raffia, reed, and seaweed.
- Grass wallpaper is imperfectly perfect. Each roll of grass fabric wallpaper will be different from the others, with its own characteristic pattern and texture. Fibers will vary in size and shade depending on the roll (even if purchased from the same batch, with the same color and pattern). These discrepancies are not product defects but are the result of a manual manufacturing process and natural materials from which it is made (with uneven coloration, depending on the fibers).
Texture and color mismatches mean that each strip of wallpaper can be distinguished when it is on the wall, and the seams between the stripes will also be subtly visible. If you prefer strict uniformity, traditional wallpapers may be a safer choice.
Disadvantages of Grass Wallpaper
Along with positive qualities, there are also disadvantages.
- Suitability for kitchen. The biggest drawback is that they capture all odors, so they are not suitable for the kitchen. Also, you cannot paste over the bathroom and toilet with grasscloth wallpaper bathroom, since it does not tolerate high humidity. Dust settles very quickly on grass wallpaper. And the last drawback is their high cost.
- Grasscloth wallpaper has an earthy scent. Textured grasscloth wallpaper has the subtle smell of grass. This natural and earthy scent will fade with time and is, for many, part of the appeal of authentic grasscloth. Whilst, not an overpowering smell, it is worth bearing in mind when considering whether grasscloth wallpaper is the right choice for you.
- Grass fabric wallpaper is easy to tear and scratch. Herbal wallpaper is also very delicate. They are much more prone to tearing and tearing and are easier to scratch than traditional wallpapers. Its texture (and the smell of grass) also makes it a very attractive scratching post for cats. For this reason, think carefully before pasting grass wallpaper in a hallway or entrance (where it can get hit by passers-by or furniture) or in a room where small children or pets can touch it.
Instead, consider using a grassy fabric in the bedroom or on the wall as a focal point. You can also install grass wallpaper over the eaves or upholstery of chairs (rather than across the entire height of the room), so it's out of the reach of small hands and claws.
- Grasscloth wallpaper can trigger allergies. As we mentioned, grasscloth is made from natural materials, including arrowroot, seagrass and reed. If you or anyone in your family suffers from allergies, faux grasscloth wallpaper may be a better choice.
- Grasscloth wallpaper is sensitive to sunlight. As a natural, untreated material, grasscloth wallpaper is more sensitive to sunlight than traditional coverings. This is particularly true of grasscloth wallpapers in darker colors. If exposed to direct sunlight, the wallpaper will fade and bleach out with time.
As such, consider installing the wallpaper in an interior room in the house that gets less natural light or one with blackout blinds or curtains that can be drawn during the day. Alternatively, you may prefer to extend the life of your grasscloth wallpaper by investing in additional window treatments, such as the installation on the glass of a clear UV ray-filtering film or just use painted grasscloth wallpaper.
But despite this, it is still worth taking a closer look at them, because in this case, the price is responsible for the quality.
So, should you choose grasscloth wallpaper ideas: natural grass or artificial grass wallpaper? We are sure that yes! This will give your space a beautifully natural and luxurious look, feel, and scent that simply cannot be reproduced with traditional or even artificial grass. Whether natural grass or artificial grass wallpaper is right for you will depend on your budget, the time you need to set, your style preference, and your lifestyle.